Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I Quit

And today is Ash Wednesday. Traditionally as a Catholic this is the beginning of the Lenten Season. The start of the day that I quit. We quit. We resign ourselves from the flesh and other worldly things. This is the start of our renewal.

I quit being online always. I quit on attending to some negative vibes. I quit on judging others. I quit on my former self. A renewed one. A born again. In Catholic's faith.

And speaking of Catholicism, the highest designated leader of our Church surprisingly announced yesterday that he will quit. He will retire come the end of this month. A shocking news? Not so. When health is the issue everyone has the obligation and right to quit. How can you serve of  what is expecting of you when your own muscles and bones and brains do not function well? And the Pope chooses his health over the power of continuing the highest position in Catholic Church. In the end he is still human like us capable of vulnerabilities and susceptible to disease. And we respect his decision.

And the race for the next new Pope is on. I have heard from the news that the 116 cardinals all over the world is vying for the position including our very own Cardinal Tagle of the City of Manila. Though he has the rarest chance of becoming a Pope, who knows the votes on conclave will favor him come the second  week of March as the college of Cardinals finally vote for the replacement of our Pope today.

And maybe quitting is not the end. It is the beginning of something new somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It Begins Now

 I am now here in Batangas City. My hometown. My city. That never sleeps. I have myself and my mother. She is 83 now. And I am turning 47 th...