Monday, September 24, 2012

Untold Stories


And this blog is all about stories. Real stories. Untold stories. Until now. I have posted this photo on my facebook account and Glenn responded. He mistakenly identified it as one of the areas where we used to work. But it was not the Batangas Port. Resemblance only. There were so many stories that surrounded my almost five years of working at that port. Some stories that needed to be told not as to blame or expose someone but to just remind us that life is indeed an array of different colors to live in.

There were stories of greatness. Let's start with the story of "Apo". He was called by that name for unknown reasons. And I had the chance to meet him. A not so tall man with the aura of an experienced worker. And he was the foreman-manager of a certain area in the construction of pier. It was his expertise. He was not an engineer but because of his natural talent he worked like an engineer and he was very famous in bringing in results with so many savings for the company. He was the Apo, the legend and I guess he is still in FF Cruz.

There were stories of shame. A few days back I have attended a seminar in Manila. And the speaker talked about last Friday ( September 21) in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the declaration of Martial Law in our country, he cited some stories of how the late President Marcos execute the law under his mighty hand. He said that there were instances of all-out-war in Mindanao and if it will mean a collateral damage to all then so be it. A tooth for a tooth. And our speaker narrated also that he liked the first three years of Martial law that our country for the first time really achieve the so-called economic progress. But the law was abused and many suffered under the Marcos' regime. I have remembered also when I was still processing release papers in the Bureau of Customs years ago. It was a shame that I have to "lagay" to those clerk in so many tables before I have finished the processing. And the shameful of all was the head of the Exemption Division who happened to be from Batangas also during that time and she was so greed. And as far as I know she was relieved and got fired from the Bureau.

There were also story of hopes. Way back in 2005 when I was still in the construction industry, there were times that I have to ride  a barge to inspect the quarry site in Bansud, Mindoro. And it was my very first time to go aboard an old barge owned by the company. I have heard stories from the barge crews how they spent their lives away from their family even in Christmas and New Year. There were times that the boat nearly sunk and they were almost killed but still hopes floated and they were alive. There was also the story of a drug addict before then being transformed by a famous religion ( Iglesia Ni Cristo to be exact). He was guided and converted to the INC by that time and got married and he was abroad now.

Still there are so many untold stories to be included here. Maybe if  I could remember them well I can have a continued version of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It Begins Now

 I am now here in Batangas City. My hometown. My city. That never sleeps. I have myself and my mother. She is 83 now. And I am turning 47 th...